The Parker ETH high force electro-cylinder has been enhanced
April 16, 2012 Leave a comment
The well-known series of ET electro-thrust cylinders, which are widely used in thousands of different applications, has been completely redesigned and enhanced. This ballscrew actuator delivers up to 5 times the force and 10 times the life of the previous ET in the same frame size. With the new ETH electro-thrust cylinder Parker has succeeded in setting new standards for power density and lifetime of electro-mechanic linear actuators.
The new features are many; such as unrivalled power density – very high forces in small frame sizes, an integrated anti-rotation device, reduced noise emission, the home/limit switches and cables can be concealed in the profile and a very high service life greatly increasing lifetime up to factor 5. Furthermore they are optimised for safe handling and simple cleaning, there is reduced maintenance costs thanks to an integrated lubricating hole in the cylinder flange and they are an easy replacement due to pneumatic ISO flange norm (DIN ISO 15552:2005-12) conformity.
In some force measurement applications, a force sensor on the cylinder rod is not possible or will affect the application’s scope. For this case Parker have developed a special variant of the ETH cylinder, where the force sensor is integrated into the rear end of the cylinder. The advantage is that the sensor cable does not move with the rod. All force sensors are configured as traction/thrust sensors and they can be used to measure contact forces or overloads. Thanks to the thin film technology, the swivel head force transducers are very robust and have long-time stability. An integrated analogue amplifier emits an output signal of 4 to 20mA and the sensors correspond to the EN 61326 standard for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and are sized to pick up traction/thrust forces.
The ETH is recognised as market leading due to its high shock and vibration resistance, high long term stability, its small temperature drift, the measuring range: traction/thrust forces up to 25kN and for its good repeatability. For precise motion, positioning, setting and actuating, the electro cylinder offers:
- High mechanical efficiency up to 90 %
- Strokes up to 1600 mm
- High traction/thrust force up to 25,100N
- Repeatability up to ±0.03mm
- Speeds up to 1.7m/s
- Toothed belt drive (for parallel motor mounting)
- A range of screw pitches for thrusts from 5 to 32mm/rev.
- 3 (ETH032, ETH050,ETH080)
- Predefined standardised motor and gearbox flanges for simplified selection
- 3 different protection classes available: IP54 with galvanised screws (standard) IP54 with VA stainless screws IP65
This excellent electro-cylinder model closes the gap between pneumatic and hydraulic drives; it is suitable to replace them in many applications and simultaneously increase the reliability of the production process. Taking the costs for air and oil into consideration, it is found in most cases an electromechanical system such as the ETH electro cylinder offers the more economical solution. Combined with a wide choice of accessories, it offers many possibilities in the following areas of application:
- Packaging Machines
- Material handling and feed systems,
- Servo cylinder in the wood and plastic working industry
- The textile industry for tensioning / gripping textile fabrics
- Vertical actuators for loading machine tools
- Automotive industry for transporting and feeding components
- Testing equipment and laboratory applications
- Valve and flap actuation
- Wood and plastic working industry
- Process automation in the food and beverage industry
Micromech is Parker Hannifin’s UK distributor for electromech, motion and control products. If you want to know more about their clever and innovative products then contact Alan Spinks on 01376 333333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org